Monday, February 13, 2012

Всё Хорощо!!!! All is well!!!




So! How is everything? I'll try to answer every one's questions in this one email, because as usual I really don't have too much time unfortunately, we're keeping busy here! Okay so maybe I shouldn't have said the weather was getting better, haha because it got epically cold and windy, Elder Reigngard and I were consistently out of power and water for about 8 or 10 hours or so a couple times because the weather was so bad, the wind is crazy, we were by the beach and you could stand on the ice and the wind would just blow you and you would slide to your destination, that part was pretty cool actually, and the waves were way big and when the water hit the rocks or the levy, it sprayed up and it all turned into ice in mid air, it was awesome, but way cold obviously. We had to go home from a lesson the other night, and the government came on the radio in the Marshutka and told everyone to stay inside because it was going to get really bad, well the only marshutka we could get on was one that took us like maybe around a mile from home, so we walked in the crazy weather, it was like a movie, truly epic. I'll send a picture of the destruction everywhere, there was just like metal and debris flying through the streets, we saw people's roofs completely rip off and blow away it was pretty rad.
Well things are warming up a little know, but there is still a lot of ice everywhere, I'll send some cool photos I took with Elder Ness, he is the mission AP and he and his companion went on splits with me and Elder Reigngard, it's just a routine thing, the AP's are way cool, I spent most of my time with Elder Ness, he is a straight up gentleman/stud, he's way chill. So get a load of this, did I mention there are a lot of drug users/mentally insane homeless people here just wandering the streets? Well there are a lot, and right before we went up and took the pictures, this drunk/high/smoking guy walks up to us and is just like, are you Americans? We said yes, and then he started talking to us and asking us these super bizarre questions, and he wanted us to come into his house, we said no of course and he got a little angry when we told him he had to leave and he tried to "fix my tie" as in reach in my suit pocket, so we stopped him and left. Haha it was just kinda funny but super creepy, although that isn't very uncommon here anyways, and communists sometimes get upset with us too. The cars and drivers here are way crazy too by the way, I have seen like 5 or 6 crashes and there are no speed limits and nobody signals usually, and there are no lanes, it's just every car for itself, and you have a heart attack pretty much every time your in one, and people just cross the streets anywhere super casually and almost get hit all the time, and people just drive on the sidewalks if they wanna get around someone sometimes, haha it's kinda funny to watch people, but I'm pretty used to it by now, but all is well.
No huge news with our investigators lately, we are just still trying to work with them but Igor the army man had to get his baptism date changed to March 18 with our other investigator Mesha, so we're planning on going into the black sea to do it, it'll be cool! My address is hard to write in English, I honestly only know it in Russian, I think and speak a lot in Russian here, and I dream in it too sometimes and my companion says I sleep talk a lot in Russian and English haha, but I live on a street called prospect Dershinkava, close to the edge of town. I eat a lot of Russian food, I eat English stuff maybe once every 2 weeks, but Elder Riegngard cooks pretty well so it's all good, we usually use a lot of onions and peppers in our food and we usually eat Kazak or Russian stuff, like greshka. It's pretty good! Don't worry about anything here though, we're doing great! Oh did I also mention that we have to boil all the water we drink because it's unsanitary? It's either that or water bottles, but I haven't talked to anyone who has ever had issues so it's all good. Well I gotta go, until next week!!!!
-Elder Skene

No comments:

Post a Comment